Monster Trail Marathon & Half Marathon
These trail races use the Cayuga and Finger Lakes Trails to provide views of some of the most beautiful gorges in Ithaca, NY. The course consists of two identical out-and-backs of 13.1 miles each, starting at Robert H. Treman State Park and traversing mostly single-track trails. Don’t let the fact that the races start in a park fool you—the course includes its fair share of roots, rocks, steps, briars, steep climbs, and quad-pounding descents.
The Monster Marathon and Half-Marathon feature age/sex-based early starts. Men under age 38 start with the race clock, but women and older men head off early, with the individual handicaps determined by the World Masters Athletics Age-Graded Tables. The win could come down to a kick to the finish between a 65-year-old grandmother (101-minute head start) and her 40-year-old son (4-minute head start).
The Monster Marathon and Half Marathon are part of the FLRC Trail Circuit, and results are included in the annual Pebblehead/Stonehead/Boulderhead rankings.
The first pavilion (near the playground) at Robert H. Treman Park, 105 Enfield Falls Road, Ithaca, NY 14850. Be prepared to pay an $8 New York State Parks admission fee.
Both races have age/sex-staggered head starts; please arrive at least 15 minutes before your start time. The race clock starts at 8 AM for the marathon and 9 AM for the half-marathon.
Online pre-registration is required and is open until the end of the day on August 13th. There is no day-of-race registration.
– $40 for the marathon, $30 for the half-marathon. Registration includes lunch at the finish for all runners.
– Runners 18 and under pay $20 for the marathon, $15 for the half-marathon.
– FLRC members may deduct $5 from any of these fees.
– Restrooms, showers, and swimming are available at Robert H. Treman Park.
– Coffee and breakfast items will be available before the race.
– Well-stocked aid stations are located 3–4 miles apart on the course.
– Lunch provided at the finish for all runners; family and spectators may purchase a meal for $20.
– Results will be made available shortly after the race via Webscorer; visit the FLRC Web site for full results later.
– This race is part of the Finger Lakes Trail Circuit, for all you Pebbleheads, Stoneheads, and Boulderheads.
The award ceremony takes place shortly after the race, with awards in the following categories:
First overall male and female
First in each of these age groups, male and female:
1–10, 11–18, 19–29, 30–39, 40–49, 50–59, 60–69, and 70+
– Those running the full marathon must be trained for ultra-marathon effort!
– Look for trail markers or you could end up off course! As with all trail runs, it’s on you to pay attention.
– Unlike road races, the footing is not level. It is uneven and can be dangerous. A fall or injury is possible.
– Insect bites, mud, treacherous footing, forest monsters, and vehicles at road crossings are possible hazards.
– Heat could be a problem this time of year; if so, carry fluids and watch for symptoms of heat exhaustion!
– Full marathoners finishing the first out-and-back after 11 AM will not be allowed to continue!
– No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
– The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
– Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled because of an act of nature or mankind.
– This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.