- This event has passed.
ULTRA X JORDAN – Ultra Marathon October 2021
October 2, 2021 - October 9, 2021
Ultra X Jordan (previously the Wadi Rum Ultra) takes place in the land of Lawrence of Arabia. The mystical desert course takes competitors past historic sites, into dramatic wadis and over magnificent sand dunes.
Wadi Rum’s nickname is “The Valley of the Moon” and participants will quickly see why. Its landscape, characterised by unique towering rock formations, is truly mind-blowing, as is the challenge. As locations go, this place is unrivalled in its beauty.
We are dreaming of the desert!
Did you know that Ultra X Jordan was our first event? From 2016 to 2018 it was called the Wadi Rum Ultra. In 2017, Sam and Jamie (the co-founders) met, Sam was running and Jamie was the Race Director! The two got on and the rest is history!
Here is why we think you should be joining us this October:
1) The Course
Our race course, which changes slightly each year will take participants on a grand tour of Wadi Rum’s protected region. You’ll pass through canyons, dried up riverbeds and occasionally over big sand dunes.
2) The History
The desert is steeped in history. Wadi Rum may be best known for its connection with British Army officer T. E. Lawrence aka Lawrence of Arabia, who passed through several times during the Arab Revolt of 1917–18.
If Wadi Rum isn’t enough for you, the opportunity to visit the Lost City of Petra on the Saturday after the race certainly will be.
Petra will take your breath away. The area is thought to have been inhabited from as early as 7000 BC and was once a major regional trading hub used by the Nabataean people. For the film buffs among you, it’s fame was amplified in Indiana Jones, The Last Crusade
All finishers will receive a race medal. Different medal ribbons will be awarded based upon the finishing times outlined below.
As part of our Sustainability Policy, the Green Ribbon will be awarded to the competitor that displays the highest commitment to reducing their environmental impact both in preparation for and during the race (as determined by the organisers).
Under 27 hours
Under 30 hours
Over 30 hours
1. Race entry
2. Accommodation during the race (3-8 October)
3. Transfers between Amman and Wadi Rum desert
4. Medical staff on course and at all campsites
5. Osteopathy staff on course and at all campsites
6. Drinking water at checkpoints on course and hot water
for preparing food at all campsites
7. Celebratory meal and local entertainment on the final night of the race
8. Ground assistance and full safety support
9. Digital copies of all images from event photographer
10. Individual/team rankings and ITRA points
11. Finisher’s medal
2. Accommodation before or after the race (accommodation at the race hotel can be purchased as an add-on at checkout)
3. Personal food, kit and equipment (see kit list below)
4. Comprehensive insurance (to cover cancellations, loss of items, injury etc)
5. Training costs
6. Spending money
7. Transport home for runners who are
disqualified or withdraw early